- 200g grated apple (mix of cooking & eating)
- 200g blackberries
- 175g softened butter or 150 ml vegetable oil
- 250g SR Flour or 200g SR flour & 50g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g caster sugar (or muscovado/soft brown sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger*
- Zest of an orange/lemon*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract*
- *Optional extras depending on taste desired
Vanilla Butter Cream Icing
- 500g Icing sugar
- 250g softened butter
- 2-3 tbsp boiling water
- 1-2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 180o C/160o C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Put the sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk with electric beaters until glossy and pale. Keep the beaters running as you pour in the oil.
- Stir in the grated apple, followed by the Blackberries, then fold in all the other cake ingredients.
- Bake for 40 mins until golden, cover with foil and bake for a further 15-20 mins until fully cooked.
- Cool in the tin and dredge with icing sugar/ice when cold.
Note – ½ the quantity fills a 1lb loaf tin