For Roasted Rhubarb
- 200g rhubarb
- 25g caster sugar
For Vanilla Custard
Make 150 ml from custard powder – If you make your own/have some left over from yesterday’s “crumble & custard” then make sure it is quite thick.
For Cake Mix
- 250g softened butter
- 250g SR Flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g caster sugar
Plus Icing sugar, for dusting
- Make the roasted rhubarb first. Chop rhubarb into 2 cm lengths. Toss in sugar and place in a shallow dish/tray. Cover with foil and roast at 200oC for 15 mins, remove foil and roast for a further 5 mins. Drain the juices and leave to cool.
- Heat oven to 180oc. Butter and line a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Reserve 3 tbsp. custard in a bowl.
- Beat the remainder with the butter, flour, baking powder, eggs, vanilla and sugar until creamy and smooth. Spoon one third of the mix into the tin, add some rhubarb, then dot with one third more of the cake mix and spread it out as evenly as you can. Top with more rhubarb, then spoon over the remaining cake mix. Scatter the remaining rhubarb over the batter and dot with the reserved custard.
- Bake for 40 mins until golden, cover with foil and bake for a further 15-20 mins until fully cooked.
- Cool in the tin and dredge with icing sugar when cold.
Note – ½ the quantity fills a 1lb loaf tin